In 1654, the city of Smolensk was finally returned by the tsar Aleksey Mikhailovich, marking the breakthrough victory in 150-year rivalry with Poland. The cannon and firebird directed to the West from the coat of arms of the city are crowned with a tsar’s helmet, which is also placed in the center of the coat of arms of the Russian Empire. On the left, there is a «Rynda» - a Moscow version of the Varangian guard, which was brought by Sophia Palaiologina, niece of the last emperor of Byzantium Constantine. Roaring back Russian rulers successfully returned lands from the end of the 13th century to our times!
Read an article